Personal Blog Issues with DRS

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by squashed.bugaboo, Jan 16, 2016.

1. squashed.bugaboo

squashed.bugaboo Well-Known Member

Major issues with DRS:

Rajendra Chandrika's lbw dismissal in the 2nd innings of the 2nd Test WI vs Aus at the MCG represents the problem with DRS. This wasn't hitting him in line, and went with umpire's call. They're battling to save the Test. This would've never been given in the eras gone by. Umpires give it out now only because they're afraid to look like fools by a ball tracking software that beams the pictures live on the ground. It is just not right. The room for error was in this case stacked against the bowler. Whatever happened to the benefit of doubt? Has to always go to the batsman. No wonder then BCCI rejects DRS in the current form.

Here's the video:

Mooen Ali's lbw overruling by DRS in England's 2nd innings of the 1st Test SA vs Eng, Durban, is yet another classical example of what's happening with DRS. To the naked eye there seemed enough doubt to give it not out. Batsman was well forward and across, leading to enough doubt about whether the ball hit the pads within the stumps (impact in line) and whether it'd hit the stumps even given he stretched far out (hitting). There's no evidence to suggest that the margins shown in the visuals by hawk eye are within a tolerance of error and so as was done classically, the benefit of the doubt should rest with the batsman, since he only needs one ball to be out and off the field for good. The effect of this is that it has sown doubts in the mind of a top class umpire like Aleem Dar who will now naturally incline more towards giving the LBW out instead of not out, and this in turn will result in the DRS ruling marginal LBW decisions with the bowler instead of the batsman. In essence, the benefit of the doubt has now shifted to the bowler. This has been happening over and over again recently with LBW decisions. Here's the video link to that one:

[video]https://youtu.be/NFWCs2tElGg?t=126[/video]

The impact of that DRS overruling of Moeen Ali's LBW decision by Aleem Dar was seen right away in SA's 2nd innings, on Day 5, when he gave a stump-grazing LBW decision on ABD in favor of the bowler. So you can see how DRS has even a short term impact on a top class umpire's mindset. Mind you, Aleem Dar is easily the best Test umpire in international cricket today. This type of thing changes the balance of a Test match drastically in favor of the bowler, where traditionally benefit of doubt has rested with the batsman, as it rightly should, because he doesn't get second chances. Once he's gone, he's gone. He doesn't get comebacks. The bowler, on the other hand, gets to run back at him the very next ball. I've been crying myself out hoarse making this point, but nobody seems to get it. Here's the video link to that one:

[video]https://youtu.be/UIhRP9jmx2M?t=12[/video]

This is the reason why DRS is just not suitable in it's current form for LBWs. The way it should be used is to overrule the "umpire's not out call", only if the ball is hitting the stumps flush (and vice versa when the umpire rules out). That would be the only acceptable and reasonable use of DRS for LBW decisions. In fact MS Dhoni thinks exactly like me on this issue and he was trying to articulate just this, during this interview, although I don't think he got his point across quite as clearly. But beyond what he states, I wanted to point out the effect it is having on umpire's mindsets using the examples above.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2016