Finn ruled out of second Test

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by CoverDrive, Nov 20, 2012.

1. CoverDrive

CoverDrive Well-Known Member Staff Member

2. Rain.

Rain. Active Member

Bad news for England...

3. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Doubt he'd have played anyway. #Play 4 spinners cause it's India

4. CoverDrive

5. U2one100

U2one100 New Member

or 3 seamers like Nick Knight was suggesting.. :giggle1:

6. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Truth is, overseas seamers do better in India than overseas spinners. I don't see why it's hilarious that you'd want to play more of them than the spinners.

7. U2one100

U2one100 New Member

Well, because a pitch like the last one gives nothing to the seamers.

Spinners will anyways do better. I'm sure Panesar and Swann bowling in tandem will cause lot of trouble for the Indian batsmen if the pitch offers fair turn. Anyways, it is gonna be much tougher than Broad and Bresnan bowling together.

8. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Tell me why the seamers traditionally do better then?

9. U2one100

U2one100 New Member

Because most teams have generally not had 2 good spinners operating at the same time?
    Swann/ Panesar is a really good pair to have..

Also, I cant remember seamers really doing that great here recently except for Steyn but then he has the extra pace to work with when the ball starts reversing. If the square is kept green to try and minimize the damage to ball and keep reverse out of play, then the seamers/swing bowlers just dont have much to work with.

10. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

But even Anderson has a better record than Warne and Murali in India. To me that just indicates that the spinners have to be much, much better bowlers to do better.

Obviously in hindsight it would have been better to have picked Monty for Ahmedabad, but I think a few people are kidding themselves if they think picking a decent average finger spinner is going to stop the India batting line and be the solution to India's problems.

11. Binning

Binning Arkham Knight Staff Member

Well we know what's England's attack gonna be for next test now....

Patel, Broad, Andeson, Swann, Monty

12. U2one100

U2one100 New Member

Well, maybe Anderson's records will change after this series.

Also, I think Warne and Murali struggled for more reasons than just them being so **** in India..

In Warne's case, he came up against some of the best players of spin ever, all at their peak around that time.. (98-01)
    Sidhhu, Laxman, Dravid, Tendulkar, Azhar, Ganguly etc.. That is one impressive line-up. With all due respect, I dont think the current Indian batting is that capable against spin as the aforementioned one.

In Murali's case, I can't recall him playing that many matches in India. When he came over later (around 2009), he obviously was no more the magician that we knew him to be. So, he was milked easily. I think he had a decent series before that here.

We also need to look at the first test. Swann was easily the best bowler and Monty (from what I saw in UAE) will be as tough if not more. So, he adds a lot more than another seamer to the attack.

13. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Exactly, Warne struggled in India because he came up against a line up that played spin well. And that's why every opposition spinner has struggled in India for a long time.

There are two graveyards for touring spinners, Australia and India. And away sides that have success there, never play two spinners.

14. CoverDrive

Swann is doing just fine?

No one is expecting Monty to run through the Indian side but he'll be better than Bresnan getting hit for sixes on one end while Swann is trying hard on the other end...

15. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

And he is quality. Like I said, I could give a long explanation as to why I didn't want Monty to play at Ahmedabad if you want.

16. CoverDrive

All I'm saying is Monty will be better for the team than Bresnan...but you guys have no confidence in your top/middle order...

17. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Obviously. Tbf, I don't think anyone was expecting what happened on Thursday when they wanted Bresnan in the side...

18. CoverDrive

If Trott, KP, and Bell are gonna fail the way they are, no bowler can help you win...

19. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

I guess it's going to be 4-0 then :strauss:

20. CoverDrive

:ponting8: I guess so

Tags: