Dravid to captain Rajasthan Royals

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Binning, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Binning

Binning Arkham Knight Staff Member

[FLOAT-RIGHT][​IMG][/FLOAT-RIGHT]Rahul Dravid has been appointed the new captain of Rajasthan Royals. Dravid succeeds Shane Warne, who captained Royals in the first four IPLs and led them to the championship in the league's inaugural season. Dravid was bought by Royals in the 2011 IPL auction for $500,000, after playing for Royal Challengers Bangalore for the first three years. One of the reasons Dravid was signed by Royals was his proven leadership abilities.

"I am honoured to lead the Rajasthan Royals and look forward to the valuable inputs from my team-mates who are already leading their national sides and clubs," Dravid said. "My aim will be to get the best out of a very talented squad and invoke the same team spirit that won the franchise the first IPL, and has been a hallmark of the Rajasthan Royals ever since."

Warne announced his retirement from the IPL following the 2011 tournament and Royals had a number of players with leadership experience from which to choose his successor. Their squad includes current New Zealand captain, Ross Taylor, and former international Twenty20 captains Johan Both and Paul Collingwood. Shane Watson, the Australia allrounder was another candidate but in the end Dravid's qualifications were too strong too ignore.

"No one [in the squad] has Rahul Dravid's stature," Raghu Iyer, Rajasthan's spokesperson told ESPNcricinfo. "He is probably one of the world's best ever. Very difficult not to appoint him as captain."

Warne complimented Dravid's leadership skills. "He is not only one of the world's best batsmen, but a leader par excellence. The Royals squad is a bunch of extremely energetic and talented players who know their roles perfectly well and I am sure they will thrive under Dravid's inspiring leadership."

In his debut season with Royals earlier this year, Dravid scored 343 runs in 12 matches at an average of 31.18 and a strike-rate of 109.23. The team finished sixth in the table, and were in the hunt for a play-off spot for most of the season before fading at the end.

Tariq Engineer is a senior sub-editor at Cricinfo

Feeds: Tariq Engineer
    Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/543593.html

2. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Dravid? Really?

3. Binning

I know right. Wonder why they picked him as captain?

4. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

They have 2 ex T20I captains. One of them won the World T20.

5. Binning

who might they be ?

6. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Botha and Collingwood.

------------------

Oh and Taylor is captain of New Zealand, and Watson is vice captain of Australia.

7. Binning

Right!!

8. CoverDrive

CoverDrive Active Member Staff Member

9. Rager

Rager Active Member Staff Member

best move by Rajasthan Royals. There is no other player to lead the team. Wane is retained. Really surprising. :blink1:

10. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

[​IMG]

11. Rager

Dravid is a former captain of India.

12. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Dravid was a bad captain of India. I remember when he captained India in the 2007 tour to England he didn't do a very good job and India did badly. This was why he resigned not long after and Kumble became captain. I don't think he should get another chance as captain.

13. Binning

Collingwood would be a better choice!!

14. Rager

Dravid was an amazing captain.

15. CoverDrive

We still won the series against you :p

16. CoverDrive

We still won the series against you :p

17. Rager

Dravid holds the world record for being the first (and only) non-wicketkeeper to take 200 catches in Test cricket. As of 27-12-2010, he is way ahead of Mark Waugh (181 catches) and Ricky Ponting (177 catches)

18. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Collingwood won the World T20 and Dravid seemed a poor captain in his time and India's results showed.

19. Rager

Dravid beat England.

20. Binning

True, If I remember it was during his captaincy India set the record of most consecutive run chases in One day Cricket!!