Batsmen better than Sachin

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Cabinet96, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

OK, so here's how it works. I'll start off by listing a batsmen who is better than Sachin, then you have to list a batsmen who is also better than Sachin. It's like the word association game, except you have to keep listing batsmen better than Sachin :D Don't do any troll players like Chris Martin though, because that devalues the essence of the game.

We should be able to do a few pages :D

I'll start of:

Donald Bradman

2. CricDilan007

CricDilan007 New Member

Jacques Kallis.

3. CSB

CSB New Member

Jack Hobbs.

P.S. Great idea for a game, Oscar. :agree:

4. CricDilan007

CricDilan007 New Member

Brian Lara.

Viv Richards :)

5. CSB

CSB New Member

Hey are we keeping it to one guy per post?

Ricky Ponting.

6. CSB

CSB New Member

Ooo good choice, it's his birthday today.

Allan Border. :adore:

7. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Wally Hammond

8. CSB

CSB New Member

Oscar, do you think you should compile a list in the OP of all the names suggested? That way people who look @ the thread can quickly see the innumerable batsmen who are better. :woot:

Len Hutton

9. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Possibly, when we finish I'll compile a list of all the people we chose :D

Continuing...

George Headey

10. CSB

CSB New Member

Greg Chappell.

11. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Herbert Sutcliffe

12. CSB

CSB New Member

Graham Pollock!

13. squashed.bugaboo

squashed.bugaboo Active Member

Bah... pointless troll thread. But if it serves to get the bile out of your systems, Sachin bashers, then maybe it is worth it. But get some help before it is too late. :sachin3:

14. CSB

CSB New Member

How is it a pointless troll thread? We're searching history to find batsmen who are better than Sachin. Doesn't seem pointless to me.

15. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

I'm curious to find out who people rate as better than Sachin. As he's regularly viewed as the best batsmen of the modern era, I'm interested to know what other generation players people rate as better, or even current ones.

16. squashed.bugaboo

Among current ones, hardly anyone (on pure batting talent).. of course in eras gone by, people can come up with some names.. but the duration of some of their careers and the number of matches they played, and the variety of attacks they've played against and conditions and pitches they played in/on, makes this kind of comparison an almost impossible task. Besides, you can't compare say someone like Gavaskar who opened the innings against a batsman like Sachin who comes in at #4.

But it is certainly worthwhile to separately look at the records of all openers, #1, #2, #3, and #4 batsmen in the history of the game (well, of course, after leaving out ones who made their debut in the flat track era of the 2000s with averages inflated by atleast 10 runs).

17. CoverDrive

CoverDrive Active Member Staff Member

18. CSB

CSB New Member

Hear hear. :nice: Poor Dravid, constantly overlooked because of Flopdulkar.

Victor Trumper!

19. squashed.bugaboo

Dravid is the best blocker in the history of the game... well, until his defences were repeatedly breached at the end of his career. Felt really sad seeing him go out on a low.. I wished he had stayed for a home tour. Respect!

20. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Oh the irony

Ken Barrington :D

You make a good point, but also remember I don't necessarily agree with all the people being named here. The are a certainly a few who I definitely wouldn't say are better than Tendy, but others obviously do.