Appreciating the game by playing it

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by CoverDrive, Jul 15, 2012.

1. CoverDrive

CoverDrive Administrator Staff Member

This is the reason why I say don't go about commenting on players when you don't play cricket yourself :facepalm1:

2. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

He gets wickets because he bowls in the 140's, and swings it. No doubt he feeds off the work of the front liners, but he's a hell of a bowler. Much better than people give him credit for.

Just think about how good he could have been if he hadn't got over 20,000 international runs.

Zip it Flintoff.

3. CoverDrive

Yeah yeah call me Flintoff but there's truth in the statement. Until you go out there and play cricket AND FAIL, you won't realize how good someone else is when they're scoring runs and taking wickets.

4. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Terrible logic though. By that logic you should never be able to criticise any professional player. But you do.

5. CoverDrive

I'm not saying you have to play International Cricket to comment on an International cricketer (ideally, I would like that) but AT LEAST *compete* at your own level to realize what it's like out there. For example, when you watch Badminton on TV, it looks awfully easy but when you go out there and play you realize how hard it is.

6. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

I do somewhat agree with you though. I think some people don't quite appreciate how hard cricket really is. A month ago, I batted the longest I'd ever batted. It was for Hornsey (a small area in a small town in London) 3rd XI v Eastcote 3rd XI. I got 25.

Makes me feel in awe of anyone who averages 30 in test cricket.

And cricket can be a very mean game. I've realised over the last year or so, that's it's no fun when you start playing at a serious level, when you're one of the poorer players of the team. It's even worse when you're in bad form.

There's nothing worse, than playing a crunch game where the skipper doesn't have the confidence to bring you on. It's crushing :(

7. CoverDrive

Exactly :)

Yes, THAT TOO! In one of my best seasons I averaged 26 (over 18 games; my team was winning; it was all great n ****) and that made me feel stupid when we go around saying "Oh man that guy averages *only* 45 at the *International Level*...**** this guy man"

Dude, EXACT FEELINGS. I have had the most ****ty season this year (made 47 runs in 10 games) and it has made me realize how GOOD these International players are (this will answer your question - why I started liking Ian Bell all of a sudden). I struggled against swing at 70mph but players like Bell have no problem facing swing at 90mph - RESPECT :adore: :adore:

Same thing my captain is doing with me :facepalm1: I've been begging him to send me at #3 (where I have scored most runs in the past) but he 'shields' me by sending me at #7 so all the swing has died out. He just literally says "No, I can't send you at #3, you'll lose your wicket" (confidence crushed :( ) This last week, we had an opening partnership for 20 overs+ and the ball had stopped swinging. So, he sent me at #3 and I finally scored for the first time this season - scored a quick 23.

8. Piethepker

Piethepker New Member

Is this supposed to be a dig at CSB?

9. CoverDrive

It's a dig at anyone who mouths off International players when they haven't touched a cricket ball/bat in 4 years...

10. Piethepker

Piethepker New Member

Cricket's not an easy sport to play, when we play hour sport i get 4-5 wickets just bowling with a tennis ball.

It's not like soccer or rugby where the basic's are kind of natural, you really gotta watch and practice to play

the reason i was half decent when i started playing was because a kid would come to my house everyday and we would play and i would practice everyday

and i still was pretty bad, made like 30 runs in 10 innings

11. CSB

CSB New Member

:sleep: Do you honestly think I don't understand how hard and cruel a game cricket is? Of course I am in awe of guys like Kallis, even Vinay Kumar bowls faster than most of us. Does it stop us from laughing at him? No. Performance at the international level is relative, so saying that someone's bowling sucks means it sucks in comparison to the standard of the level he's at.

Kallis' bowling record really isn't fantastic and has gone downhill in recent years. If you want to crucify me for pointing that fact out, do so. But when we're discussing current World XI sides would it not be a good idea to examine the pros and cons of each player?

12. CoverDrive

Yeah, it's okay to compare players with each other at the International stage. My point was that if one competes at their own level, they will appreciate the game more :)

13. CSB

CSB New Member

[dubious - discuss]

14. robelinda

robelinda New Member

screw Kallis. fat balding looser.

:popcorn:

15. CSB

CSB New Member

Careful Rob, because you don't play club cricket, that means you're not allowed to judge any cricketer at any level.

16. CoverDrive

That's right :agree:

17. Binning

Binning Arkham Knight Staff Member

18. Cabinet96

Cabinet96 New Member

Manipulating the meaning of his point are we? That's nice....

19. robelinda

robelinda New Member

I am being seriously tempted to make a kallis bowling fail video.

20. CoverDrive

Cabi taking my side :omg: