Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They hurt me mentally - Sarwan

They hurt me mentally - Sarwan

Ramnaresh Sarwan, the West Indies batsman who has not played for his country since June 2011, has turned on the national team's coaching set up for his continued non-selection.

Sarwan, 31, has scored 5,842 Test runs at 40.01 and captained West Indies in two Tests in England in 2007 but was overlooked for this tour and instead signed for Leicestershire where he has been in form with two centuries and two half-centuries and has captained the side while Matthew Hoggard has been injured.

"The coach said some negative stuff that hurt me mentally and emotionally," Sarwan told BBC Sport. "Mentally I was broken down, not from the stress of playing, it's just certain individuals have drained me mentally. It took a toll on my confidence and the way I play. Everything went away."

Sarwan lost his central contract in 2010 with an "extremely indifferent attitude and sporadic approach towards fitness" cited as the reason. He played four more Tests, scoring 83 runs before being dropped. He is now pleased to be out of the West Indies set-up. "I'm away from all those problems, my mind is at ease and I have had nothing to worry about, no coach to say any negative things," he said. "At one point I didn't know which was my back foot and which was my front foot. Now I'm much better, more precise with my movements, everything crystal clear in my head."

"I never spoke about this because I was caught up in a shell and I used to not come out of my house for up to three days. My dad was the one to inspire me to start back playing. I was going to stop because they were getting the better of me but when I saw him break down emotionally that inspired me."

Sarwan returned to county cricket with Leicestershire, after scoring 442 runs at 31.57 for Gloucestershire in 2005. His comeback has been a success, with a century in his second match against Derbyshire and scores of 117 and 98 against Essex - form that has prompted many to call for his return to international cricket.

But even if he was offered the chance of a recall, Sarwan said he wouldn't walk out on Leicestershire. "I owe them because they've invested in me," he said. "I'm big on principle and when I was in the dust being kicked by my own people I was given an opportunity by this club and I will not forsake that or betray anyone. I don't want to find myself in a situation where I was two years ago, where I couldn't have fun. My happiness is utmost and the most important thing to me. I want to stay focused and forget about what has gone before."

Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-...ry/565699.html

Binning is offline Super Moderator
    He must have been in the side, could have made a big difference to the side.

Cabinet96 is online now Coach
    Blog Entries
    To be honest he only would have played instead of Samauls. WICB's flaw isn't their selections, it's the way they go about it.
    Playing left arm spin better than the national side, since the age of 12
    Kallis a minnow basher you say?
    FTB you say?

He was part of the highest record chase of 414 against Australia - http://www.itsonlycricket.com/entry/621/

Scored a 100 I believe

squashed.bugaboo is offline International Cricketer
    Sarwan lashes out at WICB. Says he's happy at Leicester, won't bother playing for WI even if called up!!

Read on:
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-...ry/565699.html
    KingAmon: "Duh! Can somebody tell me, what is this about?"

That and he is probably getting the same (or more) pay at Leceister than playing for West Indies (if they are paid at all?)...

^ Oops..sorry, didn't realize a thread was opened on the topic.

Rager is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by CoverDrive View Post
    He was part of the highest record chase of 414 against Australia - http://www.itsonlycricket.com/entry/621/

Scored a 100 I believe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A86SA...C29D7A6B9E7DD0
    is this the same match where Sarwan-Mcgrath spat occurred?

Yes yes

Rager is offline Coach
    That was intense...

"Ask your wife" - got to be the best comebacks ever...

^ That was an epic comeback. Just the kind the doctor would've ordered for a **** like McGrath. Can dish it out but can't handle it when it is dished out to him. What a wuss! This just goes to show when you get under his skin, you can dismantle him.

Yeah, he pwned him there but to be fair to McGrath his wife was suffering from cancer so it hurt McGrath even more

^ Agreed... but McGrath can be a **** when it comes to sledging and you got to go to that extent to ruffle him or risk being owned by him. Besides, those who live in glass houses don't throw...

Enjoy the incident and McGrath's own feelings about it afterward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6OIgxnO5-s
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakvind/...ry/131326.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rager View Post
    That was intense...

"Ask your wife" - got to be the best comebacks ever...
    Very bad taste IMO. Poor comment.

Quote Originally Posted by squashed.bugaboo View Post
    ^ That was an epic comeback. Just the kind the doctor would've ordered for a **** like McGrath. Can dish it out but can't handle it when it is dished out to him. What a wuss! This just goes to show when you get under his skin, you can dismantle him.
    Just out of interest, where do you find out stuff like this. The only stories I've ever head about McGrath and that sort of stuff are very positive.

^ Agreed... but McGrath can be a **** when it comes to sledging and you got to go to that extent to ruffle him or risk being owned by him. Besides, those who live in glass houses don't throw...

Enjoy the incident and McGrath's own feelings about it afterward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6OIgxnO5-s
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakvind/...ry/131326.html
    There's a difference between a bit of sledging to try and help your team win the game and comments regarding serious family matters that are made simply to make the other person feel ****. What a **** world we live in where people thinks it OK to mock someone about their wife dyeing and leaving their little kids with no mother.

I mean when you joined you were a **** of the highest order, but you still thought it was too far when I suggested your father had been molesting you when you were younger.
    FTB you say?

Maybe Sarwan didn't know and it was probably an in-the-moment comment!

Blog Entries
    Yeah maybe. One of my friends mother died last Christmas and I have to make a conscious effort not to crack a "your mum" joke when he's around.
    FTB you say?

Rager is offline Coach
    Very bad taste IMO. Poor comment.
    Nah! It was just funny at the time... probably not now...

Binning is offline Super Moderator
    Depends if he was aware of Mcgrath's Wife's Cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    I mean when you joined you were a **** of the highest order, but you still thought it was too far when I suggested your father had been molesting you when you were younger.
    You did? Oh yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember something to that effect... listen, I'm not arguing Sarwan crossed the line. But keep in mind, McGrath started by suggesting Sarwan sucks on Lara's **** to which Sarwan responded he was doing McGrath's wife. There was no reference to her condition; agreed it crossed the line by dragging family into the sledge, but it was honestly a heat-of-the-moment remark more than anything.

CSB
    CSB is offline International Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    You mean that's NOT true? Well you learn something new every day, I thought there was no other explanation.

On topic... Would Sarwan really have made a big difference? I don't think so. What would make a difference is Chanderpaul batting higher in the order.
    Forgiveness lies too deep to be vanished away.

^ Easy, CSB.. don't sweat it. And, no, Chanderpaul would flop miserably if he batted up the order. Sarwan and Gayle in place of Barath and someone else at the top, would suffice to match this English team.

At one point I didn't know which was my back foot and which was my front foot
    Ramnaresh Sarwan reveals how the West Indies coaching set-up affected his game negatively

CSB
    Why would Chanderpaul flop if batting up the order?

^ Why do you need a batting order if it didn't make any difference?

CSB
    ^ Why do you need a batting order if it didn't make any difference?
    It WOULD make a difference if Chanderpaul batted up the order, because that way he wouldn't get stranded with the tail all the time and he'd have longer to bat. Herp derp.

^ That's if he'd last a ball up the order, mate. I'm getting tired of explaining this. Can someone help me here. Cabi/Cover/Binning? Maybe put up his averages at different batting positions? Oh well...

CSB
    Quote Originally Posted by CSB View Post
    Why would Chanderpaul flop if batting up the order?
    That's why I asked this question ^

^ That's if he'd last a ball up the order, mate. I'm getting tired of explaining this. Can someone help me here. Cabi/Cover/Binning? Maybe put up his averages at different batting positions? Oh well...
    Dude are you serious? What do his previous averages in those positions (at times when he was not in the same form he is now) matter? Watson averaged 4 opening the batting and Shield Cricket but came in and averaged 40 - 50 at test level.

OK.. let's just suppose you're right for a moment. Then why do you think he went ballistic on Sammy & co at the suggestion of moving him up the order?? This is Chanders himself on the subject, not me. Do you really buy his BS about young batsmen learning the game?? I rest my case.

CSB
    What does it matter what he wants? He should do what's best for the team, that means facing as many balls as is practicable. He should be batting @ #3. Too bad if he doesn't want to, cricket is a team game.

^ Exactly my point... because it is a team game, you got to play each bastman in your team, at the position where he feels most comfortable and where he can contribute at his peak to the team's cause. It serves the team no purpose, if he gets out for 10s, 20s or 30s. For Chanders, I don't see him batting higher than #3 or #4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast