Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Dhoni quit Test captaincy?

Should Dhoni quit Test captaincy?

Discuss!

------------------

We all know how good of an ODI finisher Mr. Dhoni is but is his time over in Test Cricket as both captain and batsman?

Rager is offline Coach
    Why would he? We might seen the worst of Dhoni and other captains, that doesn't mean he should just quit.

- 6 away tests lost in a row
    - most defensive captain ever (in tests)
    - has achieved a lot; maybe doesn't have the same motivation anymore?

Binning is offline Super Moderator
    Well who would the replacement be ?

Rager is offline Coach
    That's the thing... there's no one else who can be replaced with Dhoni. Laxman? Zaheer? I gotta be smoking weeds just for saying that...

squashed.bugaboo is offline International Cricketer
    Yeah, there doesn't seem to be anybody else qualified. Hope he learns from his mistakes and becomes
    more proactive. Sometimes, he appears too cool...almost detached from the game and puts too much
    trust in the bowlers. Maybe he'll get better with time. Plus this side is crap in the field.

Even Ponting struggled in the end with captaincy and was criticized by Chappell for his field placements
    and bowling changes in the India series..

Cabinet96 is offline Coach
    Blog Entries
    Some of his field placing in the second test were bizarre. For one over he removed all the attacking fielders, Yadav got spanked a bit, and then he had 2 slips and a gully for the next over. He didn't apply enough pressure when the spinners where bowling a singles were always being scored. What I find most bizarre is the fact that Virender Sehwag came on with a 19 over old ball, and when Hussey was on 99, and when Clarke was on 299. Someone on CricketWeb said that they started waiting for the new ball from the 50th over, and then as soon as it was taken, started waiting for the ball to get old so that they could get the spinners back on.

Look, the guy clearly knows how to captain in the subcontinent, where he can bowl the spinners and just play the waiting game. This work as people like Sehwag and Dhoni himself go out and whack it on pitches that might as well be on a Moterway.

Outside the SC, however, it's different and I don't think he's grasped how to do it yet.

But I don't who the possible replacements are. I think currently it's Gambhir. Don't they rate Raina? He captained in the west Indies for the ODI's, but he's a long way from the test team at the moment.
    Playing left arm spin better than the national side, since the age of 12
    Kallis a minnow basher you say?
    FTB you say?

Rager is offline Coach
    Agree with you on that Cabinet. I think Rahul Dravid should lead Indian Test Cricket and Dhoni to lead the ODI since he is good at that. Dravid's captaincy will be much better than Dhoni's atleast. I don't think Indians are taking test cricket serious anymore. Just like Gavaskar mentioned, they didn't practice before the Boxing day test. They were sightseeing. Also, there was only one tour match before the 1st test so it wasn't enough for them to grasp to the conditions.

Spinners only work in India and we have quite witnessed that. Outside of India, bowlers need to learn how to bowl and get wickets. If they can't do that, they should just quit from the game and join Gully Cricket on our next upcoming game. (only few know about this - not official yet)

Gully cricket. LOL

But Dravid is nearing 39 man. Does it make sense to give him captaincy. I agree they need tour games in between Tests also.
    I mean they have a week between Sydney and Perth. Can't they squeeze a 4-day game against a local team in Perth? They'll
    still have 2 days for fooling around, FFS!!

Rager is offline Coach
    They shouldn't be fooling around at all. They came to Australia to do a job, not to fool around FFS. They get paid...

------------------

Dravid is the one successful player on the side. Sachin won't captain and he sucks at it. (experience)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by squashed.bugaboo View Post
    Gully cricket. LOL

But Dravid is nearing 39 man. Does it make sense to give him captaincy. I agree they need tour games in between Tests also.
    I mean they have a week between Sydney and Perth. Can't they squeeze a 4-day game against a local team in Perth? They'll
    still have 2 days for fooling around, FFS!!
    England played a 3 day game in Melbourne in between the 2nd and 3rd Test of the Ashes, in fact even India did it in England. Surprised they aren't doing it here.

Although usually you have a extra couple of days I think. This test finished on like Thursday, whereas in a non festive time it would finish on Tuesday.

The spinners need to learn how to hold up and end outside the SC.
    FTB you say?

As Dravid himself said, there's a shelf life to captaincy. No wonder it keeps getting tossed around like a hot potato.

Blog Entries
    Captaining India must be ****. It went from Dravid to Kumble to Dhoni in a year.
    FTB you say?

Rager is offline Coach
    As Dravid himself said, there's a shelf life to captaincy. No wonder it keeps getting tossed around like a hot potato.
    What you mean?

The spinners need to learn how to hold up and end outside the SC.
    +1

This test finished on like Thursday, whereas in a non festive time it would finish on Tuesday.
    How are Thursday and Tuesday are even related to each other?

Captaining India must be ****. It went from Dravid to Kumble to Dhoni in a year.
    How many times did England change their captain... (not in Test)

And for the record, Captaining India must be a dream come true. Not many people get to do that.

Blog Entries
    Test, at least outside of the SC, start on a Thursday. If the previous test ends on a Thursday it gives you 6 days before the next one, if it finishes on a tuesday if gives you 8 days.
    FTB you say?

I think Dravid meant that there is an expiry date to captaincy.

Rager is offline Coach
    More time to practice... Yay!

------------------

Quote Originally Posted by squashed.bugaboo View Post
    I think Dravid meant that there is an expiry date to captaincy.
    I guess so. Sooner or later you are bond to get replaced.

I think Dhoni's era is up. I wonder who is going to be next successful captain for India. #indiagetreadytofail

I was reading around and what was said was that Dhoni was always defensive (not that he has turned defensive recently). It worked out for him in subcontinent but clearly it is not working overseas for him.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, because pitches are flat there that's the way to go, and then try and score quickly.
    FTB you say?

Iknoweverything is offline Newbie Cricketer
    $CF
    Yes He must quit test cricket and captaincy both, media has given him unconditional standard all the time "Cool Dhoni" , my foot ... actualy he is layman knowing nothing , the fact is he is leading best players' teams naturaly things will be in his favour , u can ask any kid to lead such wonderful team and on winning will u give credit to that kid but media has done exactly same given always unconditional standard to dhoni , even in world cup his performance was down but in final match he fortunately scored that too when the victory was near all the efforts were of Gambhir , but media neglected dhoni's overall performance which was totaly poor in overall worldcup..and given him the credit of bringing the world cup
    Dhoni thinks he is great n says if any new wicketkeeper hve to come in world cup he must have 60 ODI experience , what the hell you r saying you loser dhoni .. if its so then give chance to other wicketkeeper when u r nt scoring and performing.
    In my opinion he must be thrown out of the team he even dont have tht much right to quit he must be thrown out of every match say one day or test,
    Sehwag, Gambhir can lead ODI and Dravid can lead Test.
    Dhoni always wants to prove he is right even if he lose any match he will repeat next match with same players and again losing, his performance is very poor getting out on 2 and 4 wasteing 1 position of the team of 11 players . and the biggest foolish captaincy he has shown playing in test cricket with 4 bowlers hahahaha do he know wht test cricket is ? he is a village guy who know to play roadside crikcet , test cricket is combination of everything n u r playing with 4 bowlers and that too against Australia .. Poor...
    Captain Dhoni says he njoys winning IPL match more than ODI match .... he dont deserve to represent Indian cricket team

I strongly believe that Indian cricket team captain must be Gambhir or Sehwag and bringing Discipline in team back , Dhoni has brought all rubbish charachter to this big game , all kid like things happened in dressing room in his presence , throwing dal on each other, partying all night , He considered as like being the member of Indian team means enjoying everything on demand , if wants to drive bus he will, he wants to spend time at any luxurious hotel he will do that ... his actual job is playing cricket and representing his country and practicing during the off-matches days....

Amplifier is offline County Captain
    $CF
    He shouldn't just quit captaincy but also Test match format !!

Seriously man. He is not doing well. Bring back Kirsten BCCI ****ers.

AmritM is offline International Cricketer
    ^that i agree with. we should bring that kirsten!

Quote Originally Posted by Iknoweverything View Post
    Yes He must quit test cricket and captaincy both, media has given him unconditional standard all the time "Cool Dhoni" , my foot ... actualy he is layman knowing nothing , the fact is he is leading best players' teams naturaly things will be in his favour , u can ask any kid to lead such wonderful team and on winning will u give credit to that kid but media has done exactly same given always unconditional standard to dhoni , even in world cup his performance was down but in final match he fortunately scored that too when the victory was near all the efforts were of Gambhir , but media neglected dhoni's overall performance which was totaly poor in overall worldcup..and given him the credit of bringing the world cup
    Dhoni thinks he is great n says if any new wicketkeeper hve to come in world cup he must have 60 ODI experience , what the hell you r saying you looser dhoni .. if its so then give chance to other wicketkeeper when u r nt scoring and performing.
    In my opinion he must be thrown out of the team he even dont have tht much right to quit he must be thrown out of every match say one day or test,
    Sehwag, Gambhir can lead ODI and Dravid can lead Test.
    Dhoni always wants to prove he is right even if he lose any match he will repeat next match with same players and again losing, his performance is very poor getting out on 2 and 4 wasteing 1 position of the team of 11 players . and the biggest foolish captaincy he has shown playing in test cricket with 4 bowlers hahahaha do he know wht test cricket is ? he is a village guy who know to play roadside crikcet , test cricket is combination of everything n u r playing with 4 bowlers and that too against Australia .. Poor...
    Captain Dhoni says he njoys winning IPL match more than ODI match .... he dont deserve to represent Indian cricket team

I strongly believe that Indian cricket team captain must be Gambhir or Sehwag and bringing Discipline in team back , Dhoni has brought all rubbish charachter to this big game , all kid like things happened in dressing room in his presence , throwing dal on each other, partying all night , He considered as like being the member of Indian team means enjoying everything on demand , if wants to drive bus he will, he wants to spend time at any luxurious hotel he will do that ... his actual job is playing cricket and representing his country and practicing during the off-matches days....
    First of all, to the forum!

And whatta first post

Rager is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by -Biηηiηg- View Post
    Seriously man. He is not doing well. Bring back Kirsten BCCI ****ers.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmritM View Post
    ^that i agree with. we should bring that kirsten!

$CF
    Thnx MAn..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rager View Post
    why? If you think about it, his exit = India's downfall.

$CF
    I Saw Harsha Boghle's samsonite review after scg test match he said main cause why India lost 2nd test was players were Lethargic , Ohh my goodness is that so harsha !! I wonder ,, after that he said Zaher is verymuch slow at fielding ! I didnt noticed that , y harsha boghle neglected that bowlers are bowling off the line n lenght u r placing fielders at 1st 2nd 3 rd slip and thn point and guly n the bowler is bowling on the leg side , lol who can save you frm such big score then , when u r placing so many fielders on off side bowlers line n lenght must be outside off stump max to max on off stump , inswing from ouside off stump towards off stump is required , outswing frm offstump towrads out of the offstump is required, cant they learn anything frm great of cricket bowlers till now ! see Mcgrath how wonderful he used to bowl he used to mean it when he used to keep slip point and guly his line and lenght has always shown that.

If harsha wants fast fielders thn Kaif is only the option

I felt that Indian bowlers weren't consistent enough with their line and length. Aussies were right on the money all the time and barely gave any run scoring deliveries...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast