Thread: Pietersen fined for Twitter outburst

Binning is offline Super Moderator

Pietersen fined for Twitter outburst

Kevin Pietersen has been fined an undisclosed sum for comments he made on Twitter about Nick Knight following a disciplinary hearing involving Hugh Morris, the managing director of England cricket, and team director Andy Flower.

Pietersen has made no secret about his disagreements with Knight, the former England batsman who is now a Sky Sports commentator, and recently posted this remark. "Can somebody please tell me how Nick Knight has worked his way into the commentary box for the Tests?? Ridiculous."

An ECB statement said: "The hearing considered recent comments made by Pietersen on Twitter to be prejudicial to the interests of the ECB and a breach of the England player conditions of employment in relation to clauses regarding public statements.

"Pietersen has been fined an undisclosed sum, part of which has been suspended for 12 months, in accordance with the terms and conditions of his England central contract."

Earlier this week Pietersen was asked whether he considered leaving Twitter. "No, not at all, no. I won't stop, no," he said.
    It is the second time Pietersen has found himself in trouble over Twitter after he reacted to being dropped from the one-day squad in 2010 with an outburst which he said was meant to be sent as a private message to a friend. "Done for rest of summer!! Man of the World Cup T20, and dropped from the T20 side too. It's a f**k-up ..." He was fined an undisclosed sum on that occasion, too.

In 2009 Tim Bresnan also caused controversy when he swore at a follower. He later apologised to Flower who said at the time: "If you are an England player you have obviously got to behave in a certain way It is pretty simple if you are on a public site like that - you have to behave yourself."

Source - http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-...ry/566001.html

He's been fined before too

CSB
    CSB is offline International Cricketer
    Bit ridiculous... is it in their contract that they're not allowed to express negative opinions about anything to do with cricket?
    Forgiveness lies too deep to be vanished away.

Rager is offline Coach
    ^ apparently... but nothing stops Kevin from running his mouth.

Piethepker is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Binning View Post
    Kevin Pietersen has been fined an undisclosed sum for comments he made on Twitter about Nick Knight following a disciplinary hearing involving Hugh Morris, the managing director of England cricket, and team director Andy Flower.

Pietersen has made no secret about his disagreements with Knight, the former England batsman who is now a Sky Sports commentator, and recently posted this remark. "Can somebody please tell me how Nick Knight has worked his way into the commentary box for the Tests?? Ridiculous."

An ECB statement said: "The hearing considered recent comments made by Pietersen on Twitter to be prejudicial to the interests of the ECB and a breach of the England player conditions of employment in relation to clauses regarding public statements.

"Pietersen has been fined an undisclosed sum, part of which has been suspended for 12 months, in accordance with the terms and conditions of his England central contract."

Earlier this week Pietersen was asked whether he considered leaving Twitter. "No, not at all, no. I won't stop, no," he said.
    It is the second time Pietersen has found himself in trouble over Twitter after he reacted to being dropped from the one-day squad in 2010 with an outburst which he said was meant to be sent as a private message to a friend. "Done for rest of summer!! Man of the World Cup T20, and dropped from the T20 side too. It's a f**k-up ..." He was fined an undisclosed sum on that occasion, too.

In 2009 Tim Bresnan also caused controversy when he swore at a follower. He later apologised to Flower who said at the time: "If you are an England player you have obviously got to behave in a certain way It is pretty simple if you are on a public site like that - you have to behave yourself."

Source - http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-...ry/566001.html
    Lol hes mean

Don't need to quote the whole post man

Piethepker is offline Captain
    oppies

Quote Originally Posted by CSB View Post
    Bit ridiculous... is it in their contract that they're not allowed to express negative opinions about anything to do with cricket?
    No but obviously he can't say **** about an ECB employee (commentator)...

CSB
    Quote Originally Posted by CoverDrive View Post
    No but obviously he can't say **** about an ECB employee (commentator)...
    So if he'd said it about Mark Nicholas instead it would've been ok?

Mark Nicholas is an employee too isn't he?

CSB
    Quote Originally Posted by CoverDrive View Post

Mark Nicholas is an employee too isn't he?
    But he's an employee of channel 9...

Cabinet96 is offline Coach
    Blog Entries
    Whole thing is a huge farce to be honest. A bit of an overreaction by the ECB in my opinion, but I can see why they punished him. He'd obviously been warned for mouthing off about Night before and the ECB obviously don't like it when someone on the team they sponsor says one of their employes is crap at their job, which I think is fair enough. It's a huge **** up by Kevin though. He clearly loves the attention, and the comment was incredibly unnecessary. He's clearly got some personal beef with Night, which I don't quite understand as he seems and alright bloke, but there's no need for him to say what he did. He's a 30 year old bloke yet he can't refrain from making childish remarks about someone on twitter. FFS Kevin you've been in this mess so many times before, do you ever learn?

Quote Originally Posted by CSB View Post
    But he's an employee of channel 9...
    FFS we're not in Australia. It's channel 5!
    Playing left arm spin better than the national side, since the age of 12
    Kallis a minnow basher you say?
    FTB you say?

CSB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Whole thing is a huge farce to be honest. A bit of an overreaction by the ECB in my opinion, but I can see why they punished him. He'd obviously been warned for mouthing off about Night before and the ECB obviously don't like it when someone on the team they sponsor says one of their employes is crap at their job, which I think is fair enough. It's a huge **** up by Kevin though. He clearly loves the attention, and the comment was incredibly unnecessary. He's clearly got some personal beef with Night, which I don't quite understand as he seems and alright bloke, but there's no need for him to say what he did. He's a 30 year old bloke yet he can't refrain from making childish remarks about someone on twitter. FFS Kevin you've been in this mess so many times before, do you ever learn?

FFS we're not in Australia. It's channel 5!
    I know you're not in Aus. I didn't realise Mark Nicholas still did Ch 5 as well though.

Blog Entries
    Oh yes forgot he did Channel 9 stuff as well
    FTB you say?

CSB
    Oh yes forgot he did Channel 9 stuff as well
    He's on Ch 9 all the time. Worst commentator ever.

Blog Entries
    Still improves the standard over at Channel 9.
    FTB you say?

CSB
    Still improves the standard over at Channel 9.

You don't get to say anything about the guys @ Ch 9 while you have Michael Vaughan commentating on Sky/Ch 5.

Blog Entries
    The majority of Australian's I've talked to agree with me FTR. Well at least on the English Commies being better than the Aussie ones.

Sky is obviously a level above Channel 5 though.
    FTB you say?

CSB
    Boycott, Atherton and Lloyd are the only English comms. I like. We have Richie and Bill Lawry (ATG comms) as well as Slater who is decent. (The rest are rubbish except when Warney or Gilly is commentating). So I'd rate them evenly. Boycs is my favourite commentator though.

Blog Entries
    Boycott is quality, but I like Nasser and Holding as well.

You're commentators shout to much to be honest. I find the sky ones to be a lot more analytical.

Also Warne is practically a sky commentator as well

Also you don't have Bob Wills slagging everyone (and I mean everyone) off in punditry on the highlights programs
    FTB you say?

CSB
    Boycott is quality, but I like Nasser and Holding as well.

You're commentators shout to much to be honest. I find the sky ones to be a lot more analytical.

Also Warne is practically a sky commentator as well

Also you don't have Bob Wills slagging everyone (and I mean everyone) off in punditry on the highlights programs
    You guys also have the ever-obnoxious Michael Holding, who I rate as one of the worst commentators of all time.

Blog Entries
    I really don't see what's so bad about him tbh.
    FTB you say?

CSB
    He's completely obnoxious. Never gives credit where it's due, if an Australian player takes a wicket, it's just poor batting by the batsman. If an Australian player hits a 4, it's just because the ball was a rubbish delivery that Boycott's grandma could've hit for 6. Everything was "better in his day", etc.

You get the drift...

Blog Entries
    Boycott is much the same to be fair.

Thing is I rarely see Holding commentate on WI games, so there's not usually any bias involved.
    FTB you say?

CSB
    Nah Boycott calls rubbish balls rubbish balls and good shots good shots. Doesn't matter which team is batting/bowling. Holding is obviously biased towards England. For example, Boycott will call Watson smashing a long hop for four a rubbish delivery, but call him driving a ball on the up through the covers an "excellent shot". Which is 100% correct, he'll usually praise both batsman and bowler in that case.

Strauss shows his diplomatic skills over Twitter - Andrew Strauss has always given the impression that if cricket had not intervened, he could already have forged a successful career in the diplomatic service. His discretion was to the fore as he considered the Twitter imbroglio involving Kevin Pietersen that has imposed itself upon England's plans for the second Test against West Indies.

Not for the first time, Pietersen is established as the rascal in the England set-up, his dismissive tweet about the Sky TV commentator, Nick Knight, viewed as improper conduct worthy of an undisclosed fine thought to be 3,000 ($4,700) and no doubt a private rebuke. His sin, for those who have been concerned over the past day or two by weightier matters, went thus: "Can somebody PLEASE tell me how Nick Knight has worked his way into the commentary box for Home Tests?? RIDICULOUS!!"

Knight is an inoffensive chap. But he is an inoffensive chap with a modest Test record who when Pietersen's one-day form was at its lowest, questioned his right to a place in the team. Pietersen respects stardom and celebrity and seems oblivious to the fact that Knight was one of the most effective England one-day players of his time. It is curious how long this has rankled.

Read More - http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-...ry/566080.html