Page 21 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Never Ending Cricket Thread

CSB
    CSB is offline International Cricketer
    So much fail in that post I don't know where to start. If you're going to start cherry-picking when we can look at people's records from, there's no point even discussing it. If you only look at Hilfy's series against India then he's one of the best quicks of all time.

Beer, in spite of what everyone thinks, is actually a decent bowler now. (He had a great Shield season, and you know what Aus is like for finger spinners). And you not rating Starc is just absurd. He's 22, has a cracking inswinger, gets incredible bounce and can swing it BOTH ways when on song.
    Forgiveness lies too deep to be vanished away.

Cabinet96 is offline Coach
    Blog Entries
    So you think Anderson and Broad are the same bowlers as the ones who made their debuts? I'm doing the same thing with Siddle and Hilfenhaus.

Am I right in saying Beer got his first 4 wicket haul (which was a 7 wicket haul) in FC last March against NSW

Why bring up Starc's age FFS? We're rating the attack now, not in 10 years.

Ok lets get an opinion thing here. Australia v England attack man for man. Quote this post and bold the person who you think is best in each battle.

Anderson v Hilfenhaus
    Broad v Pattinson
    Bresnan v Siddle
    Swann v Lyon
    Tremlett v Cummins
    Finn v Harris
    Onions v Starc
    Panesar v Beer
    Playing left arm spin better than the national side, since the age of 12
    Kallis a minnow basher you say?
    FTB you say?

CSB
    The pairs aren't the ones I would've chosen, but I'll humour you. Like I said, the MAIN advantage England have is EXPERIENCE.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post

Anderson v Hilfenhaus
    Broad v Pattinson
    Bresnan v Siddle
    Swann v Lyon
    Tremlett v Cummins
    Finn v Harris
    Onions v Starc
    Panesar v Beer
    Swann only just edges out Lyon, FYI. Personally I think Lyon has potential to be a better spinner than Swann, but currently Swann wins. A LOT of the others are very edgy picks mainly based on how quickly I can see certain players developing. For instance, the only reason I picked Harris over Finn is because I believe Harris has a good few years left in him. If Harris was likely to retire next year, I would've picked Finn.

Oh and like I said, the pairs you chose were a bit odd. For example I would've put Pattinson v Bresnan (since they both have a relatively small number of wickets and hence have room for big changes in bowling averages depending on how they go from here on).

Piethepker is offline Captain
    So you think Anderson and Broad are the same bowlers as the ones who made their debuts? I'm doing the same thing with Siddle and Hilfenhaus.

Am I right in saying Beer got his first 4 wicket haul (which was a 7 wicket haul) in FC last March against NSW

Why bring up Starc's age FFS? We're rating the attack now, not in 10 years.

Ok lets get an opinion thing here. Australia v England attack man for man. Quote this post and bold the person who you think is best in each battle.

Anderson v Hilfenhaus
    Broad v Pattinson
    Bresnan v Siddle
    Swann v Lyon
    Tremlett v Cummins
    Finn v Harris
    Onions v Starc
    Panesar v Beer
    4 each IMO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CSB View Post
    The pairs aren't the ones I would've chosen, but I'll humour you.
    I didn't fix it so that it would work in my favour FTR, I just did it in the way that I would compare the bowlers.

Anderson v Hilfenhaus
    Broad v Pattinson
    Bresnan v Siddle
    Swann v Lyon
    Tremlett v Cummins
    Finn v Harris
    Onions v Starc
    Panesar v Beer
    Broad v Pattinson too close to call for me.
    FTB you say?

CSB
    ^ I had a hard time picking Patto over Broad, mainly because Pattinson has only played 5 tests. Hopefully the upcoming ODI series might give us an idea of how our bowling attacks will fare.

Blog Entries
    How both attacks fare at home against SA will be a bigger indicator IMO.
    FTB you say?

CSB
    ^ Dunno about that... conditions in Aus are USUALLY more batsman-friendly than those in Eng. The ball swings all the time in Eng cause A) It's a duke and B) it's cloudy 24/7.

Blog Entries
    True, but I'd be worried about judging people on a short ODI series. Maybe if you factor in both India tours as well , although we're looking at no answers until next March

Off topic, but I think Stuart Broad is losing his hair
    FTB you say?

CSB
    ^ already? Isn't he like 25?

I know ODI's aren't a great measure for judging bowlers, but it will be better than just speculation. I'm looking forward to it really. Should be a cracking series.

Blog Entries
    Indeed.
    FTB you say?

Blog Entries
    Broad v Pattinson too close to call for me.
    I've changed my mind and am going with Broad.

Pattinson has obviously had an electric start to his test career, but he's still incredibly raw IMO. I mean it's not as if he was cleaning everyone up in the shield before he got selected for tests. Also he's played on SOME bowler friendly wickets against poor opposition, such as the two New Zealand tests. The only time I've really seen him on a flat wicket was second innings at Sydney and he took 1-100. He bowls just a few too many 4 balls for me, whereas Broad is quite remarkably accurate.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Pattinson incredibly highly. I think he's got the best potential out of all the young quicks going around at the moment and I think he'll be a better test bowler than Cummins, Finn, de Lange etc... He reminds me lots of Dale Steyn and I think because he has pace, can swing the ball and get it too move off the seam he'll be a lethal bowler if he can improve his accuracy and consistency a touch, which I think will happen naturally simply through bowling more, then he will probably become the best bowler in the world.

You'll probably be able to argue otherwise, but I'm just going through what I've seen in the last 12 months. Broad has looked England's best bowler in that period and the statistics back that up for the India and Pakistan series. I haven't seen a spell from Broad since the start of the India series where he hasn't looked dangerous. I remember when I was at the Oval test against India on the last day. It was during the Tendulkar and Mishra partnership, India's only real one of note in the series, and Broad easily looked the best bowler on show. He was bowling on a wicket producing very little for the seamers and was bowling with a ball that was over 40 overs old, but he still troubled Tendulkar and, to me at least, he always looked the most likely too pick up wickets. There was just something about him. He bowled quickly, but more importantly there was real zip and nip from his deliveries. He didn't get the wickets to back it up that day, but too me it was quite clear that he was the best bowler on show. Interestingly I don't think he's been at his best so far this series against WI, despite picking up 11 at Lords. He seems to just be a touch floaty and doesn't quite have that pace and zip that he had against India and Pakistan, perhaps related to the injury he picked up in SL. I think he's only going to get better as this season goes on.

I think Broad is the better bowler now, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pattinson is better by the 2013 Ashes. Kid is seriously good.

Cliffs version: I rate Broad higher than Pattinson at the moment due to longevity, doing well against a wider variety of teams and perorming in a wider range of conditions. However, I rate Pattinson highly and think he may become a better bowler than Broad in the future.
    FTB you say?

CSB
    ^ tl;dr but like I said, it's hard to choose between the two sides because I think Aus' bowling has more potential but Eng's clearly has more experience.

Blog Entries
    ^ tl;dr
    Cliffs version: I rate Broad higher than Pattinson at the moment due to longevity, doing well against a wider variety of teams and perorming in a wider range of conditions. However, I rate Pattinson highly and think he may become a better bowler than Broad in the future.
    . . . . .
    FTB you say?

CSB
    Cliffs version? It should be "tl;dr version". God, know your internet paradigms better, Oscar.

Blog Entries
    Cliffs is a valid Internet term I'll have you know.

Cliffs is just a short version. So you can either say "tl;dr" or "cliffs?" to long posts
    FTB you say?

CSB
    I gather Cliffs is in reference to Cliff'sNotes. That's an AMERICAN thing. We're not American here, boi.

Rager is offline Coach
    too long; didn't read = tl;dr? That's what it means? Oh you... Australians!

I agree with Cabi here though on the Broad v Pattinson comparison. Broad is only effective when he bowls with Anderson. From another end, Anderson wobbles the batsmen by his swing then Broad comes in with his sheer pace and take wickets. He does swing but not as much to trouble the batsmen to give him wickets. That's what I have seen from the on-going tour. As for Pattinson, the lad has great potential to become a great bowler. Only thing that worries me is that he is way too aggresive, I guess as a fast bowler you have to be aggressive. By that I don't like kids when they take wickets and rage like they have killed their villain. Pattinson's face expression tells you that. It's really creepy to be honest and sometimes it has gotten to my nerves when he did that against the Indians last summer.

I also do see Pattinson climbing up the success ladder quickly than Broad did. We are talking about the same lady who got smocked out of the park by Yuvraj in the T20 World Cup for 6 sixes. The way he has improved his bowling is tremendous to say the least. I hope he bowls well when he comes to India. On the same note, I don't like him nor do I like Pattinson. I personally favor Anderson over Broad... and for god sake, stop doing that gun celebration.

I've never seen Cummins bowl 150kph with a red ball, in fact I've not even seen it with a white ball FFS!

Off topic, but I think Stuart Broad is losing his hair
    Just like Sehwag? Tell him to get homeopathy... Coverdrive can assist him with that.

squashed.bugaboo is offline International Cricketer
    I rate our attack as on par with England's. Do I really need to explain why?

Man-for-man, our players have superior averages (every single one) to your guys. The ONLY difference is experience. (Your guys have more experience). Oh and we have Watson (who IMO, would walk into the England side just for his bowling if he could stay fit).

Also our 2nd XI bowling would crap all over WI/Pak's. I'd rate it on-par with England's 2nd XI.

As for SA, I'd rate their bowling behind Eng's and Aus's (Who I think are evenly matched).

Oh and I've seen Cummins bowl a fair few 150+, mainly in T20 but I think he bowled a couple in the Shield final that were right up there.
    Blah.. blah... blah... talk up your side and your bowling after winning in India. That said, on current form and with the best teams on both sides, your side will be thrashed by England both at home and away.
    KingAmon: "Duh! Can somebody tell me, what is this about?"

Rager is offline Coach
    Tbf, England = Australia atm. India > England > Australia at home!

Nah, England got the edge over Australia!

Rager is offline Coach
    These 2 teams whitewashed India... Technically, they are equal.

Australia are better.

CSB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rager View Post
    These 2 teams whitewashed India... Technically, they are equal.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by squashed.bugaboo View Post
    Blah.. blah... blah... talk up your side and your bowling after winning in India. That said, on current form and with the best teams on both sides, your side will be thrashed by England both at home and away.

Rager is offline Coach
    This.
    What is this about?

CSB
    ^ I was agreeing with you...

Rager is offline Coach
    Oh that's what it means.

Looks like Sehwag is a victim of depression now.

Virender Sehwag
    The best way to break depression is to get active.

http://twitter.com/virendersehwag/st...51310295040002

CSB
    well it must've been depressing getting a king pair and then nicking off a zillion times in Australia.

lol he did well in ipl at least

Rager is offline Coach
    well not good enuf to him.

Page 21 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast