Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Ireland v Australia Only ODI 2012

CSB
    CSB is offline International Cricketer
    And England always get bowled out for 51 on a road against West Indies.
    Forgiveness lies too deep to be vanished away.

Cabinet96 is offline Coach
    Blog Entries
    And Australia always get reduced to 21-9

They're top order must be ****
    Playing left arm spin better than the national side, since the age of 12
    Kallis a minnow basher you say?
    FTB you say?

CSB
    But we also always make 674 like we did in Cardiff.

So our #10 and 11 must be DAMN AWESOME.

Blog Entries
    Played

England manage to suck against spin, but always make 700 against India.

People's perceptions of us doing well must be very high
    FTB you say?

CSB
    Or India doesn't have any spinners.

Blog Entries
    You know I have actually seriously come to this conclusion. Since we piled up huge scores against them on turning tracks yet supposedly can't play ANY spinners.
    FTB you say?

CSB
    Well I don't rate Ashwin and Ojha is ok but suffers from Panesar-syndrome. (Bowls the same ball every time).

Was funny when that Cricket Ali guy on Twitter claimed that Aus had struggled against Ashwin even though we averaged over 9000 runs per wicket against him.

Quite funny how people see what they want to see. There is a (completely baseless) perception that Australia struggles against spin. So he assumed that Ashwin MUST have done well against us.

Blog Entries
    Struggled against Ashwin's batting he probably meant.
    FTB you say?

CSB
    I'm still annoyed that nothing got said about the atrocious umpiring in that Boxing Day test.

We could easily have lost that test because of the horrible umpiring & no DRS, yet nothing gets said and all you ever hear from Indians is how Aus "cheated" in Sydney 08. Nothing about the disgraceful Indian "cheating" last year when Mussey and Cowan both got given out incorrectly, and when Ashwin got given not out to a plumb LBW and went on to make another 30 or so runs in the first innings.

I think I might do an "India Cheating" compilation from that series sometime soon. A video of all the times they had umpiring decisions go their way, and the times that they over-appealed and bullied the umpires and mouthed off when things didn't go their way.

Blog Entries
    What I cannot comprehend is how poor umpiring decisions is cheating.
    FTB you say?

CSB
    I know... It's crazy... Symonds didn't walk and Bucknor didn't give him out, therefore Symonds is a cheat?

#IndianLogic

Funny thing is that in that Sydney test, Laxman and Tendulkar should both have been given out LBW early on, but both survived and went on to make hundreds.

Blog Entries
    The best thing about the game was that as a result they brought in the DRS, something that was made by India's now current coach
    FTB you say?

CSB
    The best thing about that game is that Aus won, retained the BG Trophy and there were a zillion butthurt Indians crying.

Indians crying makes me happy.

Cry moar Indians. Your tears are delish.

Piethepker is offline Captain
    So mean

CSB
    Maybe if they'd just lost graciously I wouldn't be so mean to them... but no, they had to go and whine for years and years and years about how all Australians are "cheats".

They lost that Sydney test fair & square. They needed to get over it.

Blog Entries
    FTB you say?

CSB
    WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by CSB View Post
    And stirling is such a slogger. He bats like Sehwag. Plonks the foot down and throws his hands at width. Wouldn't call that 'gun'.

Now... Kevin O'Brien on the other hand...
    You talk like it's a child's play. ^This means that he has amazing hand-eye coordination.

CSB
    ^ It's how I used to play in the back yard. Yeah it looks cool but against decent bowlers on sporting pitches you're just fodder.

Case in point: Sehwag.

cricmahanty is offline Young International Cricketer
    Blog Entries
    1) Stirling looks very Sehwag-ish I must admit. Won't term this style of play as 'slogger' as CSB seems to be doing. Neither of them are sloggers tbh. They just don't have much of a footwork and rely on a good hand-eye co-ordination. But however wrong that maybe according to the coaching books, their shots are fairly well above an eligibility line so as to be not termed as 'wild slogs'. If you observe with attention, both of them actually play pretty good-looking shots.

A slogger, in my dictionary, refers to someone who just slashes at the deliveries with the most agricultural of shots which do not have have the slightest tinge of a word called "technique" in them; shots which make people like the Afridi fanboys and ACDC ( for people not active on YouTube, this ACDC is just a T20-adoring silly little kid who goes "WOW WEE" even when Warner edges through the slip-cordon) go drooling over them.

Neither Sehwag or Stirling play such wild heaves tbh. People like Afridi and Yusuf Pathan do and they're the ones who are the rightful owners of this 'sloggers' tag.

2) Oscar giving CSB a lesson in UK & Ireland geography was just luls
    And the part where CSB said North Ireland and Ireland are the same because they both have the word "Ireland" in their spellings leads to some funny outcomes, if taken seriously. Imagine New South Wales and Wales being treated the same just for the same reason. Now that the English team goes under the board name of 'England and Wales Cricket Board', they'll gain the legitimate rights to pluck players from NSW. Now that won't go down too well with the Aussies, will it?

CSB

That's not what I was saying. It's just a colloquialism to call the whole place "the UK" or the entire Island "Ireland". Get it?

Sigh.

If you don't move your feet... you're a slogger. Sorry but that's the way it is.

Blog Entries
    Haha I know that you know your geography well enough and wrote so only to avoid going through the pain of posting a longer name for that tiny part of the world where summers apparently mean no sunshine with loads of water.

But as Oscar said, you could've simply used the term " British Isles" to avoid getting into this inconsequential and seemingly unproductive passage of conversation

Not moving your feet much doesn't make you a slogger. That way people like Amla and even Graeme Pollock are 'sloggers' according to you, which they quite clearly aren't, as people having even the slightest of knowledge about the game will tell you.

i don't move my feet that much and I don't slog

CSB
    I didn't say not moving your feet MUCH, I said not moving your feet at all. Rob has uploaded footage of Pollock... he moves his feet WAY more than Flopwag.

Amla I'm iffy on. He's not a slogger, but technically he's not sound either. He does that Brad Haddin thing where he stays beside the line of the ball and throws his hands through it. It will work when he's at his peak but, just like Flopwag and Haddin, as soon as he gets a bit older, he'll come unstuck completely and it will look AWFUL.

Blog Entries
    Infact moving your feet too much( and by too much, I mean really too much---> so as to move your feet to about 3 feet wide of your leg stump to make room and heave through the off-side) has a better chance of making you a slogger than not moving your feet at all.

While not having a good footwork is obviously wrong for batting is not ought to be done that way, it just doesn't fit into the description of a 'slogger'.

I didn't say not moving your feet MUCH, I said not moving your feet at all. Rob has uploaded footage of Pollock... he moves his feet WAY more than Flopwag.

Amla I'm iffy on. He's not a slogger, but technically he's not sound either. He does that Brad Haddin thing where he stays beside the line of the ball and throws his hands through it. It will work when he's at his peak but, just like Flopwag and Haddin, as soon as he gets a bit older, he'll come unstuck completely and it will look AWFUL.
    So by that you mean an in-form Haddin and an in-form Amla are practically the same?

I'm sorry but that's just blatantly wrong.

CSB
    An in-form Haddin and an in-form Amla are practically the same, yep.

Amla just has a better brain than Haddin. Technically they're nearly identical.

Blog Entries
    An in-form Haddin and an in-form Amla are practically the same, yep.

Amla just has a better brain than Haddin. Technically they're nearly identical.
    Unfortunately, you're perhaps the only one who agrees to it.

By the way, isn't 'slogger' meant to be someone who slogs, just like a 'teacher' means someone who teaches ?

The word 'slog' does have many meanings but I'm quoting the one which is relevant to cricket.*Source: The Oxford English Dictionary-

"a forceful and uncontrolled hit, especially in cricket:
    a slog hit the fielder on the helmet"

Says nothing about whether you've to move your feet or not. So not moving your feet at all =/= SLOGGER, necessarily.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cricmahanty View Post
    1) Stirling looks very Sehwag-ish I must admit. Won't term this style of play as 'slogger' as CSB seems to be doing. Neither of them are sloggers tbh. They just don't have much of a footwork and rely on a good hand-eye co-ordination. But however wrong that maybe according to the coaching books, their shots are fairly well above an eligibility line so as to be not termed as 'wild slogs'. If you observe with attention, both of them actually play pretty good-looking shots.

A slogger, in my dictionary, refers to someone who just slashes at the deliveries with the most agricultural of shots which do not have have the slightest tinge of a word called "technique" in them; shots which make people like the Afridi fanboys and ACDC ( for people not active on YouTube, this ACDC is just a T20-adoring silly little kid who goes "WOW WEE" even when Warner edges through the slip-cordon) go drooling over them.

Neither Sehwag or Stirling play such wild heaves tbh. People like Afridi and Yusuf Pathan do and they're the ones who are the rightful owners of this 'sloggers' tag.
    Yeah this. I think CSB is too easy to label someone a slogger. IMO sloggers are people who like to take wild swipes and swings over midwicket. Players such as Afridi, Yusuf Pathan and Stuart Broad are people who slog properly. I wouldn't ever call driving on the up a slog.

Quote Originally Posted by cricmahanty View Post
    Imagine New South Wales and Wales being treated the same just for the same reason. Now that the English team goes under the board name of 'England and Wales Cricket Board', they'll gain the legitimate rights to pluck players from NSW. Now that won't go down too well with the Aussies, will it?
    FTB you say?

Cabby is right, You wouldn't call brad haddins straight drive on the up a slog

CSB
    Fine, I could use a different term if you like? FTB? **** attack bully? Eye player? Feet-in-bucket-of-cement merchant?

Any of those better?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast