Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appreciating the game by playing it

Appreciating the game by playing it

Kallis' bowling sucks anyway. Never seen him look threatening, no idea where he got all his wickets from.
    This is the reason why I say don't go about commenting on players when you don't play cricket yourself

Cabinet96 is offline Coach
    Blog Entries
    He gets wickets because he bowls in the 140's, and swings it. No doubt he feeds off the work of the front liners, but he's a hell of a bowler. Much better than people give him credit for.

Just think about how good he could have been if he hadn't got over 20,000 international runs.

Quote Originally Posted by CoverDrive View Post
    This is the reason why I say don't go about commenting on players when you don't play cricket yourself
    Zip it Flintoff.
    Playing left arm spin better than the national side, since the age of 12
    Kallis a minnow basher you say?
    FTB you say?

Yeah yeah call me Flintoff but there's truth in the statement. Until you go out there and play cricket AND FAIL, you won't realize how good someone else is when they're scoring runs and taking wickets.

Blog Entries
    Terrible logic though. By that logic you should never be able to criticise any professional player. But you do.
    FTB you say?

I'm not saying you have to play International Cricket to comment on an International cricketer (ideally, I would like that) but AT LEAST *compete* at your own level to realize what it's like out there. For example, when you watch Badminton on TV, it looks awfully easy but when you go out there and play you realize how hard it is.

Blog Entries
    I do somewhat agree with you though. I think some people don't quite appreciate how hard cricket really is. A month ago, I batted the longest I'd ever batted. It was for Hornsey (a small area in a small town in London) 3rd XI v Eastcote 3rd XI. I got 25.

Makes me feel in awe of anyone who averages 30 in test cricket.

And cricket can be a very mean game. I've realised over the last year or so, that's it's no fun when you start playing at a serious level, when you're one of the poorer players of the team. It's even worse when you're in bad form.

There's nothing worse, than playing a crunch game where the skipper doesn't have the confidence to bring you on. It's crushing
    FTB you say?

I think some people don't quite appreciate how hard cricket really is.
    Exactly

Makes me feel in awe of anyone who averages 30 in test cricket.
    Yes, THAT TOO! In one of my best seasons I averaged 26 (over 18 games; my team was winning; it was all great n ****) and that made me feel stupid when we go around saying "Oh man that guy averages *only* 45 at the *International Level*...**** this guy man"

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    And cricket can be a very mean game. I've realised over the last year or so, that's it's no fun when you start playing at a serious level, when you're one of the poorer players of the team. It's even worse when you're in bad form.

There's nothing worse, than playing a crunch game where the skipper doesn't have the confidence to bring you on. It's crushing
    Dude, EXACT FEELINGS. I have had the most ****ty season this year (made 47 runs in 10 games) and it has made me realize how GOOD these International players are (this will answer your question - why I started liking Ian Bell all of a sudden). I struggled against swing at 70mph but players like Bell have no problem facing swing at 90mph - RESPECT

Same thing my captain is doing with me I've been begging him to send me at #3 (where I have scored most runs in the past) but he 'shields' me by sending me at #7 so all the swing has died out. He just literally says "No, I can't send you at #3, you'll lose your wicket" (confidence crushed ) This last week, we had an opening partnership for 20 overs+ and the ball had stopped swinging. So, he sent me at #3 and I finally scored for the first time this season - scored a quick 23.

Piethepker is offline Captain
    Is this supposed to be a dig at CSB?

It's a dig at anyone who mouths off International players when they haven't touched a cricket ball/bat in 4 years...

Cricket's not an easy sport to play, when we play hour sport i get 4-5 wickets just bowling with a tennis ball.

It's not like soccer or rugby where the basic's are kind of natural, you really gotta watch and practice to play

the reason i was half decent when i started playing was because a kid would come to my house everyday and we would play and i would practice everyday

and i still was pretty bad, made like 30 runs in 10 innings

CSB
    CSB is offline International Cricketer
    Do you honestly think I don't understand how hard and cruel a game cricket is? Of course I am in awe of guys like Kallis, even Vinay Kumar bowls faster than most of us. Does it stop us from laughing at him? No. Performance at the international level is relative, so saying that someone's bowling sucks means it sucks in comparison to the standard of the level he's at.

Kallis' bowling record really isn't fantastic and has gone downhill in recent years. If you want to crucify me for pointing that fact out, do so. But when we're discussing current World XI sides would it not be a good idea to examine the pros and cons of each player?
    Forgiveness lies too deep to be vanished away.

Yeah, it's okay to compare players with each other at the International stage. My point was that if one competes at their own level, they will appreciate the game more

CSB
    Yeah, it's okay to compare players with each other at the International stage. My point was that if one competes at their own level, they will appreciate the game more
    [dubious - discuss]

robelinda is offline County Captain
    screw Kallis. fat balding looser.

everyone on this forum is a cocksucker. yeah, you too dumbass. screw this signature, its as sh!te as India's top order. and when i say sh!te, i mean really f*cked up and retarded, like a man with no ears and eyes holding a sign saying "Nickelback ROCK".

CSB
    Careful Rob, because you don't play club cricket, that means you're not allowed to judge any cricketer at any level.

That's right

Binning is offline Super Moderator
    PWNED

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CSB View Post
    Careful Rob, because you don't play club cricket, that means you're not allowed to judge any cricketer at any level.
    Manipulating the meaning of his point are we? That's nice....
    FTB you say?

I am being seriously tempted to make a kallis bowling fail video.
    everyone on this forum is a cocksucker. yeah, you too dumbass. screw this signature, its as sh!te as India's top order. and when i say sh!te, i mean really f*cked up and retarded, like a man with no ears and eyes holding a sign saying "Nickelback ROCK".

Manipulating the meaning of his point are we? That's nice....
    Cabi taking my side

^^ do it man, it will be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Bowling fail videos are fail...just picking a bunch balls on which Kallis got smashed proves nothing...

Please

Of course it will prove nothing, that is not the intent. I aim to entertain, unlike Kallis who aims to send people to the toilet to witness a better spectacle

Blog Entries
    You might do a bowling fail for a player who averages 57 with the bat in test cricket

What, he's not as good as Marshall, Ambrose, Wasim and McGrath in one?

Bowling fail videos are fail...just picking a bunch balls on which Kallis got smashed proves nothing...
    Indeed. Although tbf, showing a video where Kallis nicks of early proves nothing either. Fail videos in general are fail. Unless they're batsmen getting out the same way all the time when set. I.e. Watson caught Gully or LBW.
    FTB you say?

Of course it will prove nothing, that is not the intent. I aim to entertain, unlike Kallis who aims to send people to the toilet to witness a better spectacle

Indeed. Although tbf, showing a video where Kallis nicks of early proves nothing either.
    Sorta proves that he has the skill to trouble good batsmen but everyone gets smashed for runs every once in a while.

That's it, I'm making it. Suck it up, Kallis fans.

Blog Entries
    I could make a McGrath fail video. If you bowl over 1,000 deliveries in international cricket, you're gonna bowl a few short and wide balls.
    FTB you say?

You got enough footage of him bowling ?

Go for it. Aussie haterz will rejoice in a mass orgy of semen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast